Untitled Document

Thread: Finally got a break to build myself a new ride...

Thanks

Default Finally got a break to build myself a new ride...

Well after finishing up a NFZ for a customer and I having some time on my hands, I finally decided to replace my original NFZ so I could incorporate some new ideas. Some of you guys may have seen this on some of the other forums but with a new 4400 EFI on order, I thought you might like to check her out.

The new NFZ is 19'7" long. Built entirely out of okoume/meranti and ash. I increased the lower side height and laminated 4 sheets of 1/4" ply to make the lower sides 1" thick. I'll be powering with a new Mud Buddy HDR 4400 EFI for a tall transom. The bottom is 1" thick and will be sheathed with a layer of 5 oz kevlar between 2 layers of 6 oz glass before coating with cabosil/graphite thickened epoxy and the keel strips will be UHMW as they have in the past. Final weight will be around 750 to 800 lbs, with the orignal NFZ weighing in a 660 lbs. Not a bad increase in weight for the trade off.

From start to finish, I have a little over 3 weeks worth of time with most of the work being done at night after my wife and son were in bed.

After a couple of days, she was starting to take shape.

In each of the seats and the rear compartment, I glassed a half round of PVC to divert water through to the bilge and keep the compartments dry.

After it cured I sprayed liner in the seats so that I could put the tops on before spraying liner on the interior.

At this point, I sprayed paint to down to where the liner would go so that I would have crisp lines.

The rub rails are 3 pieces of ash to form the shape.

Here's what she looked like after the liner was sprayed in.

Take a look at the video to check out the sound system, especially the lighted speakers I have interior LED lights but the speakers will add a little light to the cockpit floor. I like the little stereo. There are four 6" speakers, 500 watt marine amp and powered subwoofer.
    https://youtu.be/EFlfiZb5jKE

Here's the control panel. There is a circuit breaker 6 switch lighted panel that controls the radio, interior LEDs, light bar, fuel gauge, bilge and running lights. There is also a 12v aux outlet, USB charging port and voltmeter on the panel. In addition, the stereo with aux input, fuel gauge and second bilge switch that has auto/manual. There are 3 compartments, the one with the cover is dry while the one beside it is semi dry while the bottom is a place to throw things you don't want rolling around in the boat but don't mind getting wet.

I installed a 3500 lb Superwinch in a small front compartment. I used the factory fairlead on the winch and sandwiched two aluminum fairleads with a piece of rubber to minimize water entry on the bow. I put the wired handheld remote receptacle in the compartment and the wired panel switch in panel opposite the control panel (further down).

Lot of wires to be ran, but all marine tinned wire with waterproof heat shrink connectors.

Fuse panel is easy to access.

Here's the other "panel". It was kind of an afterthought. I have always used a trolling motor twist lock receptacle/plug with my spotlight so it wouldn't pull out at the worst time. Problem was I always ended up leaving the light on the floor in muck and water. In addition to this I also needed a place to mount the amp controls and rocker switch for the winch. Since I was doing this I also installed an additional 12v aux outlet.

The bilge compartment houses the two bilges, one on manual and one on auto/manual, fuel water separator and will house the fuel pump and rev limiter for the motor.

Once all of the wiring was done, the sides were put on and sectioned compartments/hunt deck were filled with foam.

I really like the way the transom turned out. 20" transom that is braced and tied into the rear bulkhead. You can hang a lot weight on her with no issues.

Coaming on. Some pretty 1.5" thick ash.

Kind of back in time, but here is the winch compartment and fuel tank compartment. I put a drain in the winch compartment as we know there is no truly waterproof hatch and there will probably be a limited amount of water that comes in through the winch opening. I routed the drain via 3/4" bilge hose into the cockpit.

Here's what the front looks like before I flushed the decking up. The light bar is now recessed in the opening and will have a semi permanent cover in case I every need to replace or repair. The other opening is where the fuel tank is and will also have a semi permanent cover in case the fuel tank ever needs to be accessed.

Everything on the top side glassed. Afterwards I faired for finish for the top side before installing the grass rails on the front deck and sides. Once they were on, it was time to spray the liner on the decks.

(cont.)
    Last edited by NCSUDucker; 08-19-2017 at 07:46 PM.

Thanks

Default Re: Finally got a break to build myself a new ride...

Got the light bar installed. I've used Kawell lights off of Amazon for the last 7 or 8 builds. Really nice quality and no problems to date. This one is remote and you can change color from amber to white, plus some emergency modes I guess :l Regardless, in the past I've run amber lights on my own boat for the fog. It will be nice to have the option for the bright white as well.
    https://youtu.be/RUPIzE_qm0w

Here's a shot of what it looks like at night.

There's drop cloth down on the inside of the boat while glassing but this gives you an idea of how much light the interior LEDs put out. Shouldn't have a problem finding anything in the boat, that's for sure.

And just the rear speakers :lol3: :lol3:

(cont.)

Thanks

Light bar cover and fuel tank cover dry fitted into place. Both will be semi permanently attached in case the need to repair or replace ever arrises.

Grass rails done. Some nice 1" thick ash doing the honors.

(cont.)

Thanks

I finished up installing the topside hatches/covers/etc and sprayed the decks with liner.

With the help of two friends we flipped her over. Hopefully the last time I ever see her like this!

I flushed everything thing up, rounded over the hard edges and filled the screw holes as well as put a layer of 7.5 oz glass tape over the rub rail.

First layer of glass on, Kevlar up next.

Finished with glass and Kevlar. Now to feather and fair. The bottom of the hull has a layer of 5 oz Kevlar between two layers of 6 oz fiberglass. The chines the same plus one more layer of fiberglass as it overlaps from the sides. Likewise, the rub rials have two layers of 6 oz glass and one layer of 7.5 oz glass.

I machined the keels out of UHMW and attached using a specialty adhesive and #14 1" SS screws every 6 inches.

(cont.)

Thanks

At this point she was almost done! Once the keel strips were on, I began coating the bottom and sides with a mixture of graphite/cabosil and epoxy. After each coat, I would sand to ID the low spots until it was all filled. A tedious process but turns out a nice product that is tough and slick. This was after a couple of coats.

All of the lower hull is sanded to 220 and a final coat of thickened graphite epoxy to fill a few small low spots.

After the final sand, it was time to lay down a little paint! Lower side is painted, will be flipping back upright this evening to finish her up!

Finally went back and gave the bottom two coats of Mother's Gold carnauba wax, between that and the sanded graphite, I should be good to go!

(cont.)

Thanks

Well she's done minus putting the name on the side and the aluminum bracket and grab rail assembly I'm waiting on from the fabricator.

Used a cooler seat for the running seat. Worked out well, as it snaps on and provides easy enough access to the hatch below it.

Used stadium seats for the passenger seats.

Used a T nut on each side of the front of the bench seat to lock the stadium seats in. When not in use I can put a 3/8" bolt in the T nut to keep water from entering the compartment.

Love the Max It Out LED stern light, virtually indestructible! GPS mount on the side of the coaming.

Put the fire extinguisher in on the side of spotlight box. I installed two D rings on the coaming. This one has a quick connect short lead dog leash attached to the D ring to keep the pooch in one location if need be.

Capacity plate on!

Painted the upper half of the control panel, didn't like how it looked as all black bed liner.

Finally the best part of it all...it and the scull fit in the garage along with the mandatory item...my wife's car!

I hope you enjoyed. Again, I know a lot of people would think a mud motor and a wooden boat wouldn't be a likely combination but in the 10 years I had the first NFZ I never once damaged the bottom with the exception of a few scrapes that didn't even make it through the kevlar. I did crack the lower sides on 2 occasions when getting kicked sideways into submerged objects. Both were easy fixes but that as the area I felt was a weak spot which I addressed in the last customer build as well as mine with the full 1" lower sides (the original was only a 1/4"). I'll know the weight on Monday, I'm guessing I'm going to be right around 850lbs. The original weighed 660 so with the added length and depth, that's my educated guess. Can't wait to put a motor on her! The original NFZ with a 4000 ran around 29 with me and no load and 24 with me, two other guys and gear. If I can get something similar with the new motor, I'll be happy.

Brad

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Brad, your workmanship and attention to detail continues to impress me.
    You are a true craftsman. Enjoy your creation....

Thanks

Thanks for sharing you definitely have some skills.Great looking boat.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

even the garage well organized nice work

Thanks

Very cool build! Your craftsmanship with wood is an art form.
    1854 Prodigy aka. K/V "Swamp Fox II"

Modded HDR

Prodigy Boats
    Pro-Staff

BPS Swamp Staff

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CapnCrunch View Post
    Brad, your workmanship and attention to detail continues to impress me.
    You are a true craftsman. Enjoy your creation....
    Quote Originally Posted by gnspeed View Post
    Thanks for sharing you definitely have some skills.Great looking boat.
    Quote Originally Posted by rudydrake View Post
    even the garage well organized nice work
    Quote Originally Posted by quackerattacker View Post
    Very cool build! Your craftsmanship with wood is an art form.
    Greatly appreciated guys!

Brad

Thanks

Well, she's done sans motor!

Couple of pics of the lighting at night. Real happy with the lighting.

Name on!

Removable grab bar.

Aluminum transom bracket on. Still need to silicone around the edges.

The guy who does my brackets has a plasma table and scribed the logo in the bracket.

Finally, it's official she has numbers and is registered!

I took her to get weighed today. She came in at 920 pounds where the original weighed 660 lbs. Of course it's a foot and a half longer, quite wider and 5" deeper. Slightly more than I was guessing but still manageable. Of course the winch/amp/subwoofer are probably at least 50 lbs together. As soon as I get a motor on, I'll be sure to post some pictures and video!

Brad

Thanks

Beautiful Work . Now to the most important ? ....Cost and Time to delivery ????
    Smilin Jack
    If You can't be a good example .
    Then You will have to serve as a Horrible Warning

1872 Sea Ark , 4000 HDS ,IM Heads, 32 in. Dr.

There is nothing so pure and strong as the love of a dog for his Master.

A Veteran or a Soldier , Airman or Sailor is someone who wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SMILIN JACK View Post
    Beautiful Work . Now to the most important ? ....Cost and Time to delivery ????
    Thanks SMILIN JACK! I'm in cutting board mode now, that's where the money is at . The regular NFZ is $9500 although this one is deeper, longer and has a lot of features that aren't standard on the NFZ. If bought in the summer it takes me around a month to complete (I teach). If during the school year, usually about 3 months but I won't start any boats until spring break as I'm busy with the cutting boards from August through April. To be honest, I'm probably only taking one boat order per year for the foreseeable future.

Thanks again,
    Brad

Thanks

I have one friend that might be giving you a call . I will let you know ...
    Again , Great Work as usual .....!!!!
    Smilin Jack
    If You can't be a good example .
    Then You will have to serve as a Horrible Warning

1872 Sea Ark , 4000 HDS ,IM Heads, 32 in. Dr.

There is nothing so pure and strong as the love of a dog for his Master.

A Veteran or a Soldier , Airman or Sailor is someone who wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Thread Information